Mac systems are known for their sleek design, sophisticated and elite operating system, strong security and rich features. Having a Mac system gives an elite sense of luxury to some. Robust security features are a suite of Apple which everyone speaks about. No doubt Apple has strong security mechanism, but it is not perfect. Recent news has cleared all the doubts that you still need extra security to protect your Mac systems, and people often ask what security measure should we take, do we install a security software, find some of the best VPN for Mac OS X, or rely on built-in security features.
Best VPN for Mac with Comprehensive Protection
Security Alerts for Mac
Whether it is FBI cracking the iPhone by spending thousands of dollars, Keranger ransomware. Any cyber-attack finds its way to your device by exploiting the vulnerability in the systems.
While attending Q&A session at Utah Technology Council (UTC), Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, said “We believe the only way to protect both your privacy and safety from a cyber-attack is to encrypt,” Cook spoke to 1,400 tech workers, industry executives, and Apple lovers who attended the session. “We throw all of ourselves into this and are very much standing on principle in this.” reported by Salt Lake Tribune, Utah.
The CEO told that most Apple users have more personal data on their devices than in their homes. “Encryption is one of the things that makes the public safe,” he said, “Encryption is one of the biggest issues we face, and we feel we have a responsibility to protect our customers.”
Reliable and Secure Solution
It raises a fundamental question that how to encrypt your Mac, and how to ensure safety and Privacy. There is no perfect answer to that; you cannot completely encrypt any device. However, you can make it near perfect by using strong security system applications, VPN for Mac, and built-in Mac security features.
90 percent of the malware, ransomware, and other viruses spread on Mac system which is connecting to a network for internet access, while other percent spread through physical access. However, by encrypting your internet traffic, you can avoid the risk of being cyber attacked.
Core Use of Best VPN for Mac
Regardless of any operating system, the core function of the VPN remains same. Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a network of devices connected remotely to servers, which in turn connects them to the internet. This point-to-point connection is made secure through an encrypted tunnel using strong protocols, which make the encrypted internet connection possible. Once a successful connection is made, the VPN server encrypts and masks your original IP address with the fake IP address thus hiding your current location, your activities, and Internet data packets.
Mac VPN Protocols
The purpose of Mac VPN protocols is to encrypt your VPN connection. It applies a different level of encryption algorithms according to users need. Some of the most common and popular encryption protocol used by VPN service for Mac.
- L2TP/IPSec (Layer 2 Tunnel Protocol) – L2TP is a tunneling protocol which supports VPN but does not provide encryption. Therefore, IPSec is used in conjunction with L2TP to provide encryption features.
- PPTP (Point-To-Point Tunneling) – PPTP offers weak security to your internet connection as it applies 40-bit to 128-bit encryption.
- OpenVPN – Most widely used protocol today, as it uses the OpenSSL library to encrypt to the internet connection.
- SSTP (Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol) – Proprietary of Microsoft, and uses SSL encryption. It is currently used in Windows Applications.
8 Reasons to Choose Best VPN for Mac
# 1 – Unblock All Websites
Mac VPN service offer VPN servers in different countries, and mask your original IP address. The geographic restriction of websites is elevated. You can access all your favorite websites regardless of your location.
# 2 – Browse With Anonymity
Masking your original IP address and encrypting your information makes your identity anonymous. Whenever you visit a website, they won’t be able to track you on the internet.
# 3 – Protect Your Wireless Network
Setting Up VPN on your router encrypts and protects your home wireless network. You won’t have to worry about leaking even a single internet packet.
# 4 – Stream Movies and TV Shows
VPN encrypts your data and hides your location, thus elevating the geo-restriction helps you stream your favorite TV shows and movies on Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and many other.
# 5 – Secure your Private Information
Encryption makes your information private, the only information that passes from your VPN connection is the masked IP address and its location.
# 6 – Bypass Internet Censorship
The VPN servers you can shift between different VPN servers to bypass internet censorship. If your ISP blocks specific websites, you can access them by changing your server.
# 7 – Unlimited Bandwidth
Best VPN for Mac OS X offers unlimited bandwidth without throttle. It ensures that you never run out of bandwidth server storage, and enjoy limitless internet surfing.
# 8 – Modified for Speed
Best Mac VPN OS X offers high speed and low response time. High speed ensures that you get the lag-less and fast buffering while streaming or surfing a website.
How to Install and Setup VPN Client for your Apple Mac devices
Step # 1: Choose your VPN provider from the list above, and press “Visit Website”.
Step # 2: Continue with the steps to successfully purchase the VPN subscription.
Step # 3: Once purchased, you will receive a “welcome email” from the provider, with activation details.
Step # 4: Open your “Welcome Email,” and click the link in the email provided to set up VPN.
Step # 5: Once entered, click on “Set up VPN,” this will take you to the downloads section.
Step # 6: Click on the Windows field, to reveal your activation code and copy it to the clipboard, now click “download” button for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 to initiate your app download.
Step # 7: Do not close the window! You will require it for the next step.
Step # 8: Now install the app in your usual way.
Step # 9: Open the client app; it will ask the activation code. Copy Paste the activation code in the field to activate your VPN subscription.
Step # 10: Click on “Start using the app.”
Step # 11: Once entered, select a server from the list of “All Locations” or simply choose the server from the “recommended” list. Click “Connect.”
Step # 12: Once successfully connected, your internet connection is encrypted and secure. Congratulations!
Manual VPN Client for Mac Setup
- Follow up to the first 5 steps mentioned above.
- Click on the “Manual Config” field on the left and select an encryption protocol e.g. PPTP & L2TP/IPsec, and OpenVPN.
- Upon selection, it will show you your login credentials i.e. username and password, and a list of server addresses available.
- Click on “copy information icon” in the top right corner of the field.
- Do not close the window! You will require it for the next step.
- Open your Mac’s “System Preferences.”
- Click on “Network” to open its settings.
- Click on the “+” sign under the list on the bottom left of the corner.
- A window will pop-up, choose “VPN” for Interface, “L2TP over IPSec (or OpenVPN)” for VPN type, type any name for the service name field, and click create.
- In the next window, enter the username and server address that you copied to the clipboard, and click on “Authentication Settings.”
- In the Authentication Settings window, Enter the password that you copied to the clipboard, and type any code or name e.g. 12345678 in the shared secret field, and click OK.
- Select Advanced from the bottom right window.
- In the next window, under Options tab, click on checkbox “Send all traffic over VPN connection,” and click OK.
- Click on the checkbox “Show VPN status in menu bar,” and click on “Apply” button.
- You can connect to the VPN either by clicking the option “connect” in the same window. Or by clicking on VPN Status Icon in the notification menu bar and selecting “Connect [your network name].”
- Once connected, you are free to surf the internet securely.
Although Apple makes secure products than its counterparts, the security for your device comes down to your hands at the very end. Only you can understand your device better than anyone can, securing your device should be the utmost priority in your list. Like everyone else in the world, your connectivity on the internet is inevitable, and the best VPN for Mac offers the type of security that you need to encrypt your internet connection.